Tuesday, July 23, 2013

War Stories


"My best buddy in the Army was from South Dakota.  We were going to come back from Iraq and start the very first shrimping boat business in South Dakota.  People told him he was crazy, that South Dakota has no access to the ocean, but they couldn't bring him down.  That was his dream, and it became my dream too.  We were both members of an elite USO unit...the 117th Flying Fosses.  We could infiltrate enemy lines and set up a Rodgers and Hammerstein tribute faster than anybody...anybody!  That's what were doing when...the accident happened...The last thing I remember, I was rehearsing I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair.  It was a wonderful number, always my favorite...When I woke up, the Flying Fosses were a distant memory.   Not like the song Memory, we never did Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff.  The government wouldn't pay for decent cat costumes.  The doctors said because we in such a remote part of the country, all they could do for my hand was to salvage a pointer finger by lopping off small parts of my other fingers.  I can't go back to the Fosses with THIS!  I can't even do a simple jazz hand!"

2 comments:

Sugar Packet said...

"I left South Dakota, came to New York, and here I am." Well now that Lu Ann has POURED HER HEART OUT to Cole, I guess she expects some reciprocation!

Maggie said...

"I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair" is such an awesome reference. So, then, is Cole kind of like the Bing Crosby of the war in Afghanistan?