Friday, March 25, 2011

Hobopiece Theatre

I've been so distracted by the appearance of Hobo Tramp Dan that I totally forgot this is Tommie's big moment! Good thing I forgot, or I'd be disappointed that we, of course, will not see one iota of this play. Instead, I'm just glad to see HTD again, looking just as hairy and magical as ever.

I might be going a little overboard with the references lately--Gandalf, Kenny Rogers, Zeus, Colombo--but in the first panel, Hobo Tramp Dan's slightly worried expression reminds me of David the Gnome. Specifically the last episode. Remember? Spoiler alert: he and his wife turn into trees and his fox runs away. Tell me that's not upsetting for an 8-year-old.

3 comments:

Gerard said...

No, no, Maggie. Not Gandalf, not Kenny Rogers, not Colombo. He is clearly Howard Hughes, and "Big City" is going to need an infusion of capital if it is to make it beyond off-Broadway. On the other hand, whom is Iris-the-matchmaker going to fix him up with?

Carlye said...

I agree, Gerard. I said that yesterday. Can we see his toenails?

Maggie said...

So wait, you guys are thinking HTD is a down-on-his-luck and possibly mentally ill billionaire, who will turn his life back around through the love of an honest woman and a mission to save Broadway?

Cause I think we're dealing with your run-of-the-mill eccentric billionaire, who occasionally disguises himself as a vagrant to see how the other side lives. Of course, living this way only acts a diversion to his normal, empty life, where women only want him for his money and he felt so alone until he met Aunt Iris and yadda yadda yadda, they leave for Cancun together.

It really could go either way, but I think we all agree: there's no way he's actually homeless.