Thursday, May 21, 2009

We Are Family

Please please please don't kiss in front of me.It's the happiest day of Gabriella's life? Whoo, break out the champagne, it turns out I'm not being evicted! I'M ON TOP OF THE WORLD! Well, Gabriella has had a pretty bad time of it... her entire life.

And is it just me, or does Margo seem like she's in a catatonic state, frozen with horror? Panel two in particular she looks like she's desperately trying to keep it together. "We're a family! And it's great! And you two are maybe getting back together and that doesn't make me throw up in my mouth in the least!"

5 comments:

Casey said...

NO!
interrobang

Megan said...

Well I think in the first panel she's having a petit mal seizure, but she is definitely not making eye contact with either martin or gabriella in the second one...she's zoned out to her happy place...so the maid is her mother? did she know this? can someone give me the backstory on that?

Maggie said...

So glad you asked! Yeah, Gabriella, the vaguely ethnic one with the hoop earrings to prove it, is Margo's birth mother, but Gabriella gave her up as soon as she was born to Martin, Margo's father, and Roberta, Martin's wife. So she was raised by this Roberta chick, who I guess wasn't that nice to her? But she eventually found out the truth... I don't know how, I'm sure it was very dramatic and probably better drawn at the time. And she rejected Martin for a while but now he's (successfully) using money to buy her love.

Also, Gabriella has visions sometimes. Like psychic visions. Ha ha! I think it's part of her ethnic "otherness," but it's pretty funny.

McClure said...

I just want to say that my mother says "We're together... like a family!" all the goddamn time. And neither my brother or I were given away to live with our father's legal family.

I guess there must be some overlap in the soap opera business and the "dramatic comic strip" business.

Maggie said...

That's really funny that your mom says that... like a family!