Thursday, September 3, 2009

My, What a Firm Handshake

I guess Bobbie was just stopping by... When I was in second grade, I had one of my favorite teachers of all time. She was a terribly nice older woman who encourage creativity and kindness. She had a soft, pleasant voice, and she always smelled like lavendar. One day, as I was fondly recalling her, my mother observed that she was "a handsome woman." From then on, I pictured her as a man with a long skirt and long gray wig.

The moral: girls should not be called handsome unless they look like men! Guys, I'm serious. Please do not call us handsome. Would you want us to call you pretty? Not unless you were costarring in the 1980-1982 sitcom Bosom Buddies, you wouldn't.

That said, Bobbie does kind of look like a man in a wig today.

5 comments:

Dr. Alice said...

Apparently in the 3G universe no one ever worries about patient confidentiality. This strip has gone insane (but I mean that in a good way). Can't wait till Pappagoras starts analyzing the old guy's dreams or something.

Fraser said...

I don't know, if I was setting the Professor up on a blind date, I think a handsome woman is exactly what he would be looking for.

Megan said...

I agree in general that in modern times we should refer only to men has handsome. That being said, A3G seems to exist in a parallel fifties universe, where sayings like "handsome woman" are acceptable and quaint. A reminder of a time before computers and civil rights...Yea, Bobbie is like a two face in this one. Don't look at her in a profile shot, otherwise she really does look like a thin bald man in a yellow bob wig. What if he doesn't remember her from her Greek isle days because she was just Bob back then. Also, I like how leering Bill's left eyebrow has a slight erection in the final panel...I wonder if Bill is sexually frustrated or is a sexual predator.

Maggie said...

Hahaha, really! Why don't you just get a swinging door installed on that office, Professor. "Please, come in, sit down, where did we leave off... oh, do you mind if my friend stops by? She just needs a couple pills... in fact, let me just scoot over the back and fix her up real quick--but keep talking, I'm listening!"

Megan: I'm pretty sure your concerns about Bill will be resolved in therapy.

starla said...

Personally, I don't mind being called 'handsome', I'd actually prefer it to 'pretty'. I suppose I'm not the only one either who feels differently. That said, good observation, she does look like she's wearing a wig and hiding something, but it's probably not what you pointed out. A secret identity, perhaps?