Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Decision Time

I hope all the loyal blog readers had enjoyable Independence Day festivities!  Here's a recap of Nina's baby's struggle for independence:

Tuesday, July 3rd


This is fantastic!  Tommie's having intense thought bubbling with facial and hand gestures, while Scott keeps peeking over her shoulder to see what the hell the plan is.  Meanwhile, Nina's presumably freaking out on her beanbag chair.  Take your time Tommie, no rush.

I hope this ends with a Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman style unsterile birth/probably avoidable makeshift surgical procedure.  There's always a risk of infection.

Wednesday, July 4th
 

I find it hard to believe that Scott read the books, based on his co-idiocy with Nina about this birth.  Because I'm dedicated to accuracy, I read the Wikipedia article on breech birth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech_birth


You're welcome for some of the disturbing medical images.  So it seems like while it is most common in the United States to deliver breech babies via Caesarean section, it's possible to just to defy nature and push that sucker out.  Luckily we have a midwife with zero experience and an inadequate medical environment for the delivery.  PUSH!!!

5 comments:

Ken said...

I imagine Tommie is thinking about going in to turn the baby. Think Billy Crystal in City Slickers, only it will be funnier and more entertaining than the movie.

Charlene said...

Oh, dear. A posterior position is not the same as a breech birth - posterior means that the baby is coming head-first, but that its face is pointing towards the mother's front instead of her back.

More interestingly, almost half of all babies are face-first at the onset of labour, but only one in twelve are born that way.

The writer has interestingly included the now-known-to-be-false belief that a posterior position is associated with back labour. It is however associated with tearing, hemorrhage, and all kinds of nasty things that would make a competent midwife point to the door and say "Hospital. Now."

Mark said...

Tommie as Dr. Quinn = priceless.

Marge said...

It seems to me that Tommie has the choice of either making Nina panic now, or later. Call an amublance!

Maggie said...

Totally forgot that yesterday was my day to blog, my brain was on fireworks all day. I'm glad you covered for me, since all I would've had to say about this is would be "Oh my gosh, Tommie, would you please just make them go to the hospital already?!"

Actually, I recently saw Back to the Future for the first time, and Tommie kind of reminds me of young George McFly. In this scenario, Nina is Biff, of course.