Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Uh oh!

Good thinking! I'll shoot you! I was kind of hoping my commenters were right and the guy in green would wind up being a poorly drawn Martin or Gabriella, but it turns out it's just some thug. A pretty gutsy one, purse snatching in a busy city in broad daylight! Um, hey, where is everyone? Maybe Bobbie's lawyer is located in a rundown, unpopulated part of town... like the Pink Brick district.

Look, it's not that I don't believe this doesn't occasionally happen, it's just that in New York City, I think there would be at least a couple of witnesses who would just be too scared or indifferent to help. And I'd think a purse snatcher in this town would have a bit more sophisticated technique than, "Gimme the purse, lady!" I've ever been a victim of purse snachery, though... anyone have a story to share?

4 comments:

Megan said...

A few key points:

1) Whatever befalls Bobbie from this point on is her own fault. Obviously, she's never taken a self-defense course or learned that you shouldn't be a smart ass towards criminals.
2) I think that Bobbie will get hit over the head and taken to the hospital. She will be unconscious and they will call her emergency contact, which will finally reveal the mystery husband.

Buck Mouse said...

oh gross what's going to happen in the alley

McClure said...

"Megan," you're one to talk... you're the first person I'd think of who'd be a smartass to a criminal...

Unknown said...

And it's not Bobbie's fault that she's getting assaulted! It's the assaulter's fault.

I've gotten mugged once. I was walking down the sidewalk a few blocks from the West Oakland Bart station, talking on my cell phone and heading to a friend's house at 7:00pm. This was in late summer, so it was just getting dark. Suddenly I was shoved from behind and then yanked back up.

There were three guys around me who had ridden up on little trick bikes, and the one in the middle, who had shoved me and then pulled me to face him, shoved me again and I fell to the sidewalk on my back. I had on my Chrome messenger bag, which has a belt buckle strap, and he pushed the release button while one of the other guys grabbed part of the strap and started to take off. I was unemployed at the time and had very little money. I could not afford to lose my bag and its contents, so I grabbed the other side of the strap as it was sliding out from under me and held on for dear life.

I kept yelling that I didn't have any money and that I was on food stamps as I was drug around via messenger bag, when finally someone else came walking down the sidewalk and they got back on their bikes and took off.

It was very intense and I'm supremely lucky that they didn't have any weapons. The only thing they said was right before I got shoved to the ground, and it was, "Give me your wallet @#$%^&!"

Incredibly nothing got stolen. My back hurt for a few weeks, I hardly go to Oakland anymore, and I'm much more aware while on my cell phone.