Monday, June 22, 2009

Sunday/Monday Comparison

I've begun to look forward to the Sunday edition of Apartment 3-G. Why? Certainly not because it adds anything to the story; it's a pretty by-the-books recap. No, it's the art. Observe these two strips featuring the same content. The top is from Sunday, the bottom is from Monday.


Here Nora answers with her left hand...
...and here she answers with her right! What does it all mean!?

So what's so different? (besides Monday's distressed thought balloon in the final panel) Here are a couple of things the Sunday edition adds:

  1. Nora is wearing make up.
  2. Nora has some white in her eyes instead of just flesh coloring
  3. Nora looks just like Marlo Thomas circa That Girl!
  4. Nora appears to be majorly bummed about something in the last panel, rather than just kind of thinking about something else

Am I missing anything? Overall, I'd say the Sunday edition offers a more smooth, mellow flavor, while the Monday through Saturday delivers frenetic, flesh-colored action (or lack there of). That's just my feeling though. Thoughts?

3 comments:

McClure said...

Well the caller is apparently a little more riled up on Monday, what with the spiky bottom of the speech balloon and all. On the other hand, seems like the phone is taking the opposite effect: blowing out like wind on Sunday and drifting out like smoke from Tom's cigarette on Monday.

Which begs the question who the blazes (ha ha get it? Smoke? Fire? Blazes?) is Tom?

McClure said...

Oh, I meant the phone's ringing is gusting and then drifting... just to be clear... haha

Maggie said...

you know, I noticed the spikey bottom on the Monday strip's speech bubble, but the ghostliness of Sunday's "ring ring" escaped me. Nice one.
And Tom... yeah, I can't remember. I think (but am really just guessing) that Tom is her current fiance, but she used to be engaged/married/something to Tim's brother... who is in Tibet.. or something. Glad I could clear things up.