Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mothers and Daughters

Yup, moms make everything better. Which is why, though I'm going to confront the woman who acted as my mother for years and made my life miserable, I'm not nervous at all.

Now, you might say "Oh, but it's different with your real mother. And Ruby is so sweet with her bows and the fungus growing from her head..." But let's remember, this is the woman who pretended to be Lu Ann's cousin for who knows how long (no, seriously, I have no concept of the timeline of this strip. It could potentially only have been 5 days ago that Ruby arrived) and grew close to her, never revealing her identity until she was forced to. Even though she was a fully grown adult and shouldn't be afraid of being sent off to a girls' home again. She's no prize either. And I give it about 4 strips before Lu Ann is whining, "But, Mooooom, I don't WANT to wear the pink bows in my hair. You're the worst real mom ever!"

4 comments:

DJ Pauly D said...

Cabs are here! Cabs are here! Cabs are here, bro. Cabs are here.

Ken said...

The TSA will not allow those gerbera daisies on the flight. You wouldn't want those mutant things growing in South Dakota.

Sorta like the snakehead fish.

Roy said...

I think you are being hard on Ruby, look how excited she was about the wedding dress shopping. Even today that would be a very challenging conversation, and this is set in the 3G universe, and involving a woman who wears her hair like my cousin Gertie, who actually lived in South Dakota much of her life. This sort of thing actually happens in the real world, Eric Clapton thought his mother was his sister until he was an adult. Even if Lu Ann was say 30, I can totally imagine it happening in SoDak in 1980.

As to telling Lu Ann, why broach it and all the family unhappiness until it has to come out. She seemed to be doing fine as Lu Ann's surrogate mother anyway.

Marge said...

Good post, Roy! No need to always be negative.